I want to thank my friend, the Reverend Mark Vincent from Brisbane for sharing this with me and now you! Peanuts cartoon creator Charles Schultz had a way of making Charlie Brown seem deep and he created two simple quizzes for focusing on what matters. Just have a guess at these first questions I’ve modified for Aussie readers, there are no prizes but you’ll get the picture.
- Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
- Name the last five Australian of the Year winners.
- Name ten people who have won the Nobel Prize.
- Name 3 Academy Award winning actors.
- Name the last ten NRL Grand Final winners.
How did you go? Kudos if you got any at all – the point the quizmaster wants to make is that fame fades, the applause dies and the world moves on. Here’s the second quiz and it’s for you to actually answer, best you can.
- List three teachers who really helped you in school.
- Name three friends who have helped you through difficult times.
- Name five people who taught you something worthwhile.
- Think of two people who have made you feel special.
- Identify five people you enjoy spending time with.
The tip: I’ll bet that quiz was easier. The people who make a difference in our lives are often not the most famous, wealthy or celebrated, but ultimately they matter the most. Keep that in mind the next time you are worrying about your “wins”.